Family Room Fireplace

dsc_0386We have lived in our house for over 8 years now.  I have HATED the slate fireplace that came with the house.  dsc_0375                                                  dsc_0376

This is it.  YUCK  I just had to live with it for awhile for a couple of reasons. 1) I kept saying that we were going to sell the house and move…so why upgrade it.  2) I just wasn’t sure what I really wanted if I did change it.

Well I finally came to the conclusion that we were moving.  It only took 8 years 😉

I really hated the black, but wasn’t sold on something else.  I did find these very cool tiles at Lowes.  I have tan walls as you can see.  I was so tired of “tan”, but I really could not afford to have the walls painted.  When we choose to tile I thought this would be a great opportunity to add the grays, whites and creams I have fallen in love with.  dsc_0380

The summer time is my time to take on big projects.  This was the big one for summer 2013.  My husband was actually on board with this one.  He isn’t always so willing when it comes to ripping things apart, but I think he hated the fireplace as much as I did.

We started by ripping the slate off the wall.  It really wasn’t that hard.  Believe it or not the slate was stuck to the wall with 4 big globs of glue.

dsc_0379

As you can see it ripped some of the drywall off.  It just needed some simple patching and it was good to go.

We are lucky enough to have a friend that owns a wet saw.  I am telling you, if you have the right tools it makes any project easier.

We measured and re measured and started the cutting.  We went the easy route with this project.  We choose tile that did not need to be grouted.  SMART!

We used tile adhesive to stick these babies up.  That’s right adhesive!

dsc_0384dsc_0385

Here Lily is spreading on the adhesive.  She is such a good helper.  Look at that look of concentration!  With a little help from her Dad they start to lay the tile.  Looking good!

dsc_0381I had to give it a try.  I mean at least have my picture taken like I was involved!

dsc_0386

We are all very happy with the way it turned out.  You can see the cool reclaimed pallet wood doors my husband also made.

Total cost for tile and adhesive $125.00.  Not bad for a whole new look!

I have a few more touches to add to the mantel and maybe even change the tile on the floor.  Not quite sure yet.  Stay tuned….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s